Click to Print
Click to PrintClose


Angus is an ancient administrative unit, although its name has changed over the years. Before 1928, the area was known as Forfarshire. The county also included the burghs of Arbroath, Brechin, Broughty Ferry, Carnoustie, Dundee, Forfar, Kirriemuir, Monifieth and Montrose, and the inhabited islands of the Bell Rock, and Inchbroach (or Rossie). Forfarshire County Council was established by the Local Government (Scotland) Act, 1889, taking over powers from the Commissioners of Supply, County Road Trust, and other local authorities. Dundee was constituted as a County of a City in its own right in 1894. The County Council was abolished in 1975 by the Local Government (Scotland) Act, 1973, and the functions of the former county were divided between Tayside Regional Council, Angus District Council and the landward area of City of Dundee District Council. The present Angus Council was formed in 1996 and took over some functions of the former Tayside Regional Council, Angus District Council, and Monifieth and the landward portions of the former City of Dundee District Council.

Further details of these can be found in the SCAN Directory
Angus Archives
Dundee City Archives
Dundee University Archives
Perth & Kinross Archives (for Invergowrie and Longforgan)
National Archives of Scotland
National Library of Scotland

Local studies libraries
Angus Local Studies Centre
Dundee City Libraries

Family History Societies
Tay Valley Family History Society
Aberdeen & North East Scotland Family History Society

Fiona Scharlau, Ingrid Thomson (both Angus Archives), Iain Flett (Dundee City Archives), Pat Whatley (Dundee University Archives), Robin Urquhart (SCAN).




Historical records

County Council records
County Constabulary records
Medical Officer of Health reports
Vehicle Licensing Records
Valuation Rolls

JP court records
Register of sasines
Other records


<< Back