Click to Print
Click to PrintCloseKnowledge Base Home

County of Kinross
Kinross County, or Kinross-shire, was a small inland county in central Scotland. The county also included the burgh of Kinross. Kinross County Council was established by the Local Government (Scotland) Act, 1889, taking over powers from the Commissioners of Supply, County Road Trust, and other local authorities. The county boundary was substantially changed by the Boundary Commissioners in 1891, transferring a detached portion of the Kinross-shire parish of Portmoak to the county of Fife (and to the parish of Kinglassie). Under the Local Government (Scotland) Act, 1929, the county of Kinross was combined with the county of Perth for most, but not all, purposes. Kinross County Council and Perth and Kinross Joint County Council were both abolished in 1975 by the Local Government (Scotland) Act, 1973, and Kinross-shire became part of Tayside Region. The present Perth & Kinross Council was formed in 1996 and took over the functions of the former Tayside Regional Council and Perth & Kinross District Council.

Archive services
Further details for these can be found in the SCAN Directory:
Perth & Kinross Council Archives
National Archives of Scotland
National Library of Scotland

Local studies libraries
Perth & Kinross Council Libraries

Family History Societies
Tay Valley Family History Society



Historical records

County Council records
County Constabulary records
Medical Officer of Health reports
Vehicle Licensing Records
Valuation Rolls

JP court records
Register of sasines
Other records

<< Back