Click to Print

County of Clackmannan

Clackmannan County
Clackmannanshire was the smallest county in Scotland and included the burghs of Alloa, Alva, Dollar and Tillicoultry; and the inhabited island of Alloa Inch. Clackmannan County Council was established by the Local Government (Scotland) Act, 1889, taking over powers from the Commissioners of Supply, County Road Trust, and other local authorities. The county boundary (between Clackmannanshire and the counties of Perth and Stirling) was substantially altered by the Boundary Commissioners in 1891. The County Council was abolished in 1975 by the Local Government (Scotland) Act, 1973, and the former county became part of Central Region. The present Clackmannanshire Council was formed in 1995 and took over the functions of the former Central Regional Council and Clackmannan District Council.

Archive services
Contact details for these archives can be found in tye SCAN Directory:
Clackmannanshire Libraries Archives & Walter Murray Local Studies Collection
National Archives of Scotland
National Library of Scotland

Family History Societies
Central Scotland Family History Society



Historical records

County Council records
County Constabulary records
Medical Officer of Health reports
Vehicle Licensing Records
Valuation Rolls

JP court records
Register of sasines
Other records

<< Back